Friday 16 May 2014

Job Interviews for the Alt Looking Woman

You would think working in this field bright hair, piercings and tattoos would be ok right? nope.

On tv all these makeup artists and nail techs and estheticians are usually alt(alternative) looking... or asian.

But in the real world, there are lots of different kinds of people in this field of work. And especially in a smaller city like Thunder Bay, tattoos and bright hair is still looked at funny.
I have been looking for work for awhile, and because my job market in flooded I am finding it a little tough there are not many jobs leftover. 

I will say this is more for the esthetics part of my job, it is a more serious and high end job. That comes with expectations, mostly clean cut looking.  

When I worked at the last spa, I had to ask my boss what colours I could dye my hair, and how bright. This was also my idea to compromise, I have respect for where I work, and the reputation of where I do. 
When I worked for the College Corporation, by the end of my contract they were instituting a new rule saying only "natural hair colours". I had already broken the dress code rule a bit; that you could sometimes see my tattoos, but I tried my hardest. I wore lots of scarves to cover up my chest piece that goes close to my neck. I also wore long sleeves under my short sleeved scrub top in our esthetics lab so you couldn't see my half sleeve.

I also do admit that to some job interviews, if I can tell they won't even look at my resume because of my hair, I wear one of my natural colour wigs.
I don't mind wearing a wig to work, I love changing it up but it is lying and I feel silly that because of the job market being so low I have to pull this shenanigans to just get my foot in the door.

I'm not saying that you have to give up who you are, or even put up with this. I always tell the truth once I get my foot into the door, I admit and ask about tattoos, bright hair and piercings. Are they acceptable, can I show them off/try not to/or hide all of them? Are you ok with this hair colour? 
I do compromise my standards, which is unfair but I need to put food on the table for my family and help keep a roof over our heads. 


So here's how I present myself for job interviews:
what tattoos?

Here is how I try to look like a "average" person with one of my natural colour wigs:

But we all know I look like this:
tattooed from head to toe...and lots of cleavage haha.

I hope soon in the future it will be 100% unjust to deny someone a opportunity based on how they look.
You can look at me and think that I spend all my time getting drunk and listening to punk music and doing nothing.  
You wouldn't think that I have a diploma in esthetics, nail technician,  funeral services and liberal arts(focusing on sociology and psychology). I have a university level understanding of chemistry, biology, anatomy and infectious materials from taking the mortuary sciences course added into the diploma in funeral services. 
I like to think I am a pretty smart cookie, and that listening to punk and metal and loving tattoos shouldn't have anything to do with it.



what do you think about having to cover up your ink or having to change who you are for work?


xoxox Scotia-leigh.
comment or email me for questions, ideas and bookings!

You can follow me on:

No comments:

Post a Comment